The name says it all – hardstone is hard to drill!
Not using the right equipment to drill into hard stone can damage your equipment as well as the wall. This is why it is crucial to understand which drill bits to use and how to drill into stone without harming yourself or the stone.
If you are new at drilling, we seriously recommend that you do your homework and talk to experienced professionals before getting started. While doing home projects yourself may seem like a great idea, it all changes when you don’t have enough knowledge about hard stone drilling.
In this article, we will help you understand the nuances in the simplest possible way. We hope it helps you!
How to drill into hard stone
A stone wall is extremely hard. Normal drill bits and regular procedures will not help you at all. You need proper equipment and knowledge about the process. Here’s how you can get started –
- Learn how hard the stone is: Hardness can be at varying degrees. There are soft stones, hard stones, and harder stones. Each of them requires a different drill bit. A metal bonded diamond drill is ideal for the hard ones.
- Determine the size of the hole: If you want to make a large hole, you need a diamond core bit. Otherwise, a diamond solid will help you drill small ones. For deep holes, you will also need an SDS.
- Measure correctly: If you make a mistake while drilling a hole, it will be nigh impossible to correct it. This is why measuring is crucial. Measure the distance, etc. and mark the points correctly. Cross-check a couple of times to be absolutely sure. Always use a chalk colour that contrasts the wall so that it is easy to make out.
- Start drilling: Using the right drill bit and hammer drill, you can start drilling the holes. You may need water to cool the drill when it gets too hot. Also, we recommend that you take breaks regularly so that the process is easy.
- Have a buddy with you: Having someone to help you will ensure that the process is smooth and quick.
Best Drill Bits for Hard Stone
Below is our list of the best drill bits for hard stone. Go through it and choose your favourite!
1. SHDIATOOL – Diamond Core Drill Bit
This drill bit measures 1-inch and is an amazing tool to have in your kit. It works wonders on hard stone and a variety of other materials, making it a top choice. Let’s look at its features:
- It is laser-welded and ideal for dry and wet drilling. The manufacturers, however, recommend wet drilling for a prolonged lifespan.
- It is designed to drill into concrete, brick, engineering stone, marble, hard granite, etc. It may not work on metal, though.
- You can use it on an angle grinder without any problems.
- If you want to use it with another machine such as an SDS, you may need an adapter.
- Easy to use
- May jump when started
- May not last for many uses
2. 10-piece Drill Bits Set
If you are a professional or are planning on using drill bits frequently, this set will serve the purpose wonderfully. The 10-piece set is versatile and durable, showcasing the following features:
- Each drill bit in the set is ideal for a particular material. Thus, you have the whole package. You can use the drill bits for wood, glass, ceramic tile, cement, hard plastic, windows, cinderblock, concrete, etc.
- The drill bits have industrial-grade carbide tips that stay sharp for a longer period of time and promise durability.
- The 10 pieces come in a nice, plastic case.
- The sizes of the pieces range from 3 to 6 inches.
- The manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty.
- They require less pressure
- The carrying case is not strong enough
- Not durable enough
3. Wet Drill Core Bits
Whether it is for granite or hard concrete, these drill bits are your friends. They are designed specifically for this purpose. Let’s go through their features:
- They are 1.5 inches in diameter and provide a drilling depth of 14 inches.
- The thread is 5/8” to 11.
- You can drill through masonry, hard brick, granite, concrete, and other similar hard materials.
- It has a 30/40 diamond grit.
- Please keep in mind that these diamond drill bits must only be used for wet drilling.
- Excellent quality
- Easy to use
- Ideal only for wet drilling
- You need a specific adapter because the threading is quite deep
4. SHDIATOOL: 5-piece Tool Set
This set from SHDIATOOL has drill bits measuring 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 mm. They are all of the high quality and ideal for hard stone. Let’s find out more:
- These are diamond drill bits with a ¼” quick hex shank.
- The length of the diamond is 10 mm while the total length is 65 mm and 80 mm.
- You can easily drill granite, concrete, masonry, ceramic, hard tile, etc.
- It is ideal for dry drilling because it has wax inside to stay cool.
- Starting by placing the drill at 45 degrees helps drill easily.
- It works on vacuum brazed technology.
- It is a multi-purpose drill bit set
- High efficiency
- No wet drilling
5. QWORK Drill Bit Set
We are going to end our spectacular list with an Amazon’s Choice product! This is a set of 5 drill bits that are multifunctional and reliable. Below are a few more details:
- You can use them for drilling concrete, granite, glass, tiles, plastic, wood, etc.
- They have tungsten carbide tips with a pointed design that makes penetration into the material quite easy. It also reduces the chances of a breakout.
- The sizes of the drill bits range from 6 to 12 mm.
- The u-type slot design ensures quick drilling and dust removal.
- When you use it on hard material, make sure you use water to keep the drill bit cool.
- The tools come in good quality, transparent box.
- Some users say that it does not work well on concrete
All of these drill bits will do wonders for your hard stone drilling needs. Make sure you choose based on your preferences and reviews. If you have any doubts, please feel free to ask us.